Hi my name is Daymon, and I was diagnosed with Burkitt's Leukemia. It happened so fast, it all started when I was having back pains. My mom was really worried when they were getting really bad so she took me to the emergency room in Richfield. The doctor there said that my back looked fine, but there was something in my blood called platelets and that they were very low. So that was why they were worried about me. I had to have 2 more blood tests, they did not look very good so my doctor decided that I should go see a Dr. Barnett who is an oncologist at Primary Children's Hospital. I was really scared and I was in allot of pain. They decided to do a bone marrow biopsy and it is what confirmed that I had the Burkitt's Leukemia. It's hard to understand why I have to be in here, but my mom and dad said it's the best hospital to be in. They told me my body is just really sick right now and it needs special treatments called chemo to make it better. I know that there are a lot of people praying for me that love me very much, and I know I will get better but it will be a while before that happens. So this will by my own journey.

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Oh what a month!! Lets just say that December 2010 is a month we would rather forget but has made us a stronger family.  We were told Daymons chemo is one of the most intense a child can get.  The side effects have been what has kept us at primary childrens for so long.  We arived Nov 30, and stayed till Dec 31.
The fist week of chemo was very mild, it was to prepare his body for the more intense round that started on Dec 9th, we were told that if he did well (wich most kids do) he would be home on the 16th in plenty of time for Christmas.  Well of course it all went downhill from there. One of the drugs used in his chemo is called "Methotrexate", and lets just say I call it the mean @##$!!  Sorry for my language.  But it is a bad drug.  It causes the worst side effects in the chemo, all the chemo drugs cause some side effects but that one is the worst of all. The worst side effect he had was "mucositis" which is bad sores in his mouth, throat, stomach and bum. It was so bad that his intestines quit working and they had to pump infection out everyday for a couple of weeks.  The infection was caused by a bacteria called "C. difficile".  He fevered, threw up ALL THE TIME, the skin on his fingers peeled off in big chunks and he had a severe rash on most of his body.  His sodium level got very low and there were a couple of times we were being prepared to go down to the ICU. It was very scary a lot of the time.
         We never thought it could be so hard to see our sweet little boy go through all these trials. Matt said it perfect when he called me one night and said "I now know what it is like to watch someone go through hell" because that is what it has been but Daymon is so strong and is trying the best he can to handle this well, Matt and I are so blessed to be able to stay each 2 nights and then trade off, we never thought that Matt getting a job at D&A McRae 8 months ago would turn out to be one of our lifes biggest blessings. His boss, Dallas McRae along with his wife Arin are amazing people. I never thought someone could be so caring and generous! Matt still recieves pay checks without even being at work. Finacially we could not have made it without them.  How lucky and grateful we were and are for our faith to get us through this so far. So many have fasted, prayed and opened up their hearts and given us money.  For that, we are forever grateful.  I promise now that we finally got this blog up we will try and post more often.

1 comment:

  1. Kristi,
    You have a wonderful family, know that you are loved and we all pray for your family and Daymon. You have done a wonderful job with this sight. This is a great idea for those of us who are concerned and want to keep up with how things are going. Stay strong, you are being watched over by a wonderful Heavenly Father. Love ya Beth Ann

    ReplyDelete